I’ve told you all that I’m in Jess Morrow’s Invincible Summer writing class, and one of the prompts is “5 Things You Better Know About Me.”
Since most of you are not people I know well, and there’s only so much I can do in a blog post, I welcome comments, questions, eyerolls, whatever response you choose to offer….
1. I am introverted. Many of you may have already understood that about me because of the way I write, but sometimes you wouldn’t be able to see it if we met face to face.
2. Sometimes my introversion looks like fear. Why? Because it actually IS fear. Yes, being around people does drain me. I have to be aware of that and work with it. But sometimes I’m just freakin’ scared to death of you. And you would NEVER know that, either.
3. I have to have books in my life. My to be read list is practically infinite and ever-growing. Even if I have a stack of books waiting for me to read, I can ALWAYS, ALWAYS find one more at the bookstore or Kindle store that strikes my fancy. If you ever want to do something nice for me, take me to the bookstore or check out my Kindle wish list.
4. I grew up Southern Baptist, and I would probably still be comfortable going to one of their churches except for “the gay thing.” I probably wouldn’t stand out one bit in a pew. However, I can’t sit in a spiritual community that doesn’t accept me or my partner or any of some of my very dear friends. It’s too small a place and mindset for me to live in any longer. Doesn’t mean I don’t love my friends who are still there. It doesn’t mean I don’t need a spiritual community. I’m trying to find it, and maybe I need to create it myself. I’m still searching for right-fit faith and practices. Would love suggestions.
5. I am definitely someone who, if she could afford it, would be a professional student. I did a double major as an undergraduate, and I have a graduate degree. I’ve just barely scratched the surface of what I want to learn (hence part of the reason for the constant book-getting). For instance, the experience of trying to start a new small business has piqued my interest in learning more about entrepreneurship. I am also quite intrigued by different marketing approaches. I’d love nothing more to be part of an artistic community and develop those instincts and talents.
I think for now I’ve definitely bent your ear enough–at least I hope you’ve been listening. Much love and many blessings.